Friday, September 17, 2004

TOO MUCH WATER

I went over to my grandma's for dinner last night, as I do every week as I have for the last couple of years, ever since my grandpa died. I started going over every week when we both discovered that we were both addicted to watching the Batchelor (Trista & Ryan), and so a ritual began. The rest of the family thinks were both nuts (we are). Regardless, nothing interfers with our weekly get togethers. So, last night, grandma wanted me to go down in the basement with her to retrieve an old answering machine she believes she remembers she saw down there somewhere over the years because she wants to give it to my cousin, Alli, who is going away to college this weekend. Well, thats all fine. So, we found the answering machine in a bag behind some old dishes. Unfortunately, on the way up the stairs we both saw a four foot area of 2-inch deep water in the back corner. Arghhh, what the? We both agreed that it must have been there a while since one of the cabinet doors was warped with water damage. Just one more hassle we didn't need. Of course, Grandma, always positive, points out that at least this is very small compared with the devastation people are facing in Florida. That being said, we thought about that for a bit and went back upstairs with the answering machine.

Grandma decided to test out the answering machine so we plugged it in and she took out her cell phone. She then asked me what the number was for the machine. I looked at her puzzled, at first, but then I understood what she meant. Oh my god, grandma! Its plugged into your house, so its your number - ohhhh. lol. (Hey grandma, lets bring up the old radios from the basement and listen to old radio stations) So, grandma dialed the number and we waited for the machine to pick up. This is the part when I wasn't thinking, AT ALL!!!! All of a sudden, we both heard a familiar voice. It was Grandpa, who died 2 years ago. "Hello, this is Roy, I'm unable to come to the phone right now (literally) but leave a msg and we'll call you back." I about died! I looked at my grandma, and she had this glimmer in her eye. Then she said, "Well, Allie (my cousin) can't have this now because I'm going to keep it for my phone." "NO! Grandma." I said. "You just can't do that!!!" No, no, no, NO! Oh yes, she told me. "Yep, that's what I'm going to do." Oh my god, I was thinking. Now the family is really going to think we're nuts. When I said goodnight to grandma, she was sitting by the phone dialing the number again.

I'll be going back over tonight to clean up the water and listen to some old radio stations.

No comments: