Sunday, April 29, 2007

Ice Cream, Ice Cream. We All Scream for Ice Cream

And the screaming gets even louder whenever Dreyers discontinues a favorite flavor, and why do they do that exactly?

I would not have really given much thought about an ice cream flavor discontinuation, that was, until this week when I encountered, what could only be described as a Dreyer's delivery person on the verge of going postal.

I went to a nearby major grocery chain to pick up some ice cream for our Friday office party, and happened upon the Dreyer's delivery guy (lets be PC and call him a frozen treat distributor, or "FTD") in the freezer section unloading the carts of ice cream. As I was making my selection, I didn't see the Nestle Toll House Cookie flavor, but did see a New flavor called Nestle toll house cookie dough. So, I casually asked the FTD, "Is this new Nestle Toll House Cookie Dough stuff replacing the old Nestle Toll House Cookie flavor?" Quite unexpectedly, he responded sharply "Yep, don't even get me started!". "???"... I thought. "Okaay" was my response. And then he began ranting about the flavors being replaced, how it wasn't right, expressing big sighs, all the while unloading the ice cream quarts with gathered intensity, until finally he chucked one of the 12 packs about three feet where it landed with a Thud!

"I better stop, before I say something I will regret" he ended. I quickly retrieved my final selections, and retreated down the freezer eisle to safety, away from the Postal FTD.

Still, reflecting back on this guy's intensity, makes me wonder, in the cold world of Dreyer's Ice Cream, is there some conspiracy story just waiting to be scooped? Maybe 48 hours should conduct an investigation as to who exactly is behind choosing the flavors, and could this be another Payola
type scheme with its cold hands around the necks of the frozen treat industry?

No comments: