Sunday, October 23, 2011

Tree Car-Fresherners: No Longer Required

I recently bought my first new car. It is a 2012 and had 100 miles on it when I took possession, and that was only because they drove it here from Salem since apparently that was the only dealer to have the specific color I wanted.

Buying a new car was not an easy decision for me to make. For one, I was an adamant follower of Dave Ramsey (live debt free) and had managed in 2007 to pay off all my debts, have a $10,000 emergency fund in savings, and had prior to now, stayed out of debt. So, I caved and rumor has it I will now spend my eternal life in debtor's hell. But, I'm ok with that. Apparently, so is my mom.

When I showed my new car to my mom I thought she was going to cry from her excitement. Her face lit up and she looked at me with such approval that I had not seen since early sophomore year in high school when she found out I was still a virgin (yes, a story will follow later). She asked if she could sit inside. Of course, I let her and watched as she gushed over the pristine upholstery and bluetooth technology. She looked years younger by the smile on her face while sitting in the passenger side inhaling the new car smell and checking out the vanity mirror. "Oh honey" she exclaimed, "I am so happy for you. This is a very nice car. I am so proud of you". She leaned over and hugged me. I thought she was never going to release me. It was a comforting emotion to know. My mom loves me now.

No comments: