Saturday, June 02, 2007

There Goes My View


See the house on the right hand side of the photo? It belongs to an elderly gentleman, who has always remained pretty reclusive during the 5 years I have lived here.
So, imagine my surprise this morning when I see dozens of cars parking and people walking up his driveway and walking into his house and back out again with arms full of treasures.
Curious, I walked out front and noticed the sign that read "Estate Sale".
I knew this day was coming.
In fact, just last summer when my other neighbors next to me were moving and we were talking about all the new houses being built in the neighborhood, I said (without knocking on wood, obviously) that it was inevitible that once they sell that house behind us, they will no doubt tear it down and build 2 monster homes on the double lot, which will in turn block my view.
I'm not saying that its the most incredible view in the world, but, its mine, and its all I have. Its one of the things that actually differentiates my house from the other bungalows around in my neighborhood that are sandwiched in between big houses. Not any more.
The thought of having to sit on my back porch and look at someone's oversize house, pisses me off.
I was spending my weekends cleaning up my backyard, trying to make it look nice, but hell, Im going to stop now. If they want to block my view, well then they can look at a crappy, overgrown, weed-filled, yard! Beside, I'll have no need for it to look nice anymore, since I won't be able to sit out on my porch and enjoy my view or watch the fireworks explode across the hills on 4th July.
Se-la-vi.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Anne,

I feel your pain so to speak. I once had a house in Canby and they put up a big apartment complex right outside the window where I once enjoyed watching a field of strawberries grow. Sucks doesn’t it?

Keep up the blogging. You are a good writer. I enjoy your work.

Regards,
Joe

thispaddlegame.blogspot.com